Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Curry, Wok, Love

Open to argument there is not much that can top an amazing enchilada night... that being said, curry night makes a pretty even playing field!  The aroma of curry toasting in a wok is enough to make anyone swoon adding coconut milk, veggies, and rice noodles creates a wonderful dish!  Sadly, I have not played with curries much due to the fact that my dad is the curry chief but now that I am queen of the kitchen it is my duty to crack out or - new - wok for curry!  So I pulled out my Encyclopedia of Cooking that my sister gave me for a wedding gift and began searching for the perfect beginners curry dish.

Rice Noodles in Red Curry Sauce with Cilantro

10 1/2 oz cooked rice noodles
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp red curry paste
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 3/4 cups coconut milk (one can)
3 1/2 oz cherry tomatoes
1/2 head of Broccoli thinly cut
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro

  1. Follow rice noodle package directions.  Heat the vegatable oil in a pan and lightly toast the curry paste until it melts.
  2. Add the soy sauce and let it cook off. 
  3. Pour in 3 tbsp coconut milk and simmer a few minutes.
  4. Pour in the remaining coconut milk.  Add the broccoli and the cherry tomatoes whole and simmer another 5 to 10 minutes (depending on tomato size and how soft you would like your broccoli).  
  5. Heat the cooked rice noodles in the pan and add the coarsely chopped cilantro.



Because my wok is new and unseasoned I had to take the time and season with oil over low heat for 10 minutes, I did that twice and it was ready..














Hubby's plate with marinated chicky


My veggie plate

So yummy and easy!  Can not wait for the next curry night..  One thing I would add to the recipe is either water or vegetable stock to the curry liquid to cut down some of the creaminess.  This would be amazing with snap peas as well!  



No comments:

Post a Comment